Biodanza (neologism from the Greek bio (life) and the Spanish danza (dance), literally the dance of life) is a system of self-development that uses music, movement and positive feelings to deepen self-awareness. It seeks to promote the ability to make a holistic link to oneself and one’s emotions and to express them. It allows one to deepen the bonds with others and nature and to express those feelings congenially.
At the heart of Biodanza is the dance process of ‘Vivencia‘. Vivencia refers to the ‘intense perception of being alive, here and now. It is the intuition of the living moment‘. Vivencias (normally lasting up to two hours) become doors to access primal emotions that enable movements to emerge that are the most natural expression of your true self. Inhibition and rigidity brought about by our social conditioning is challenged and released slowly, as you progress entirely at your own speed. Vivencias follow the organic movements of life—its biological rhythms, the pulse of the heart and the impulse to connect with others. The experience is mostly non-verbal, which opens participants’ communication and connection through the “language of dance”, regardless of their socio-cultural background. Communication through the eyes is important. Continuous exposure to Biodanza strengthens your identity, relationship with life and produces some remarkable therapeutic effects over time.
Ideally, Biodanza should be practised regularly and consistently in a weekly class, with more in-depth weekend workshops several times a year.
Biodanza is a system of personal and group development. It aims to offer you:
• more joy and happiness in life
• to become more creative, expressive, open and alive
• freer and more enjoyable expression through the body
• greater self-confidence and presence
• deeper, more real connections with others, nature and oneself
• experience of love – romantic, platonic and fraternal
• to go beyond the ego to connect with all there is
• to feel the body as a source of pleasure, rather than pain
• to find out what it is you like and want in life, and to go and get it
• dissolve tensions and rigidities in the body and persona
• to discover the myriad blessings of human contact and caress
• enhanced sensitivity and sensuality
• healing of past traumas, wounds and hurts